Last Updated on May 22nd, 2018
3. TRANSPARENCY/NOTICE—TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
The types of Personal Information we may collect (directly from you or from Third-Party sources) and our privacy practices depend on the nature of the relationship you have with Bugcrowd and the requirements of applicable law. Some of the ways that Bugcrowd may collect Personal Information include:
- You may provide Personal Information directly to Bugcrowd through interacting with the Services, participating in surveys, during events such as sweepstakes, and requesting Services, or information.
- As you navigate the Services, certain passive information may also be collected about your visit, including through cookies and similar technologies as described below.
We endeavor to collect only that information which is relevant for the purposes of Processing. Below are the ways we collect Personal Information and how we use it.
3.1 TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Bugcrowd collects Personal Information regarding its current, prospective, and former clients, customers, users, visitors, and guests (collectively “Individuals”).
- Information You Provide Directly to Us. When you use the Services or engage in certain activities, such as registering for an account with Bugcrowd, responding to surveys, requesting Services or information, or contacting us directly, we may ask you to provide some or all of the following types of information:
- User Profiles. When you create a profile, Bugcrowd may collect certain Personal Information including your name, contact details, photographs, examples of your work, information on work previously performed via the Service and outside the Service, skills and other information, including your username (“Profile”). The information in your Profile may be visible to all Bugcrowd users and the general public.
- Communications with Us. We may collect Personal Information from you such as email address, phone number or mailing address when you choose to request information about our Services, register for Bugcrowd’s newsletter, request to receive customer or technical support, or otherwise communicate with us.
- Surveys. From time to time, we may contact you to participate in online surveys. If you do decide to participate, you may be asked to provide certain information which may include Personal Information. All information collected from your participation in our surveys is provided by you voluntarily. We may use such information to improve our products, Sites and/or services and in any manner consistent with the policies provided herein.
- Posting on the Services. Bugcrowd may offer publicly accessible pages, blogs, private messages, or community forums. You should be aware that, when you disclose information about yourself in on Bugcrowd’s pages, blogs, private messages, and community forums, the Services will collect the information you provide in such submissions, including any Personal Information. If you choose to submit content to any public area of the Services, such content will be considered “public” and will not be subject to the privacy protections set forth herein.
- Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically through our Services or other methods of web analysis, such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising identifiers, MAC address, IMEI, Advertiser ID, and other device identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or device when you access the Internet, browser type and language, geo-location information, hardware type, operating system, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before and after using the Services, the date and time of your visit, the amount of time you spend on each page, information about the links you click and pages you view within the Services, and other actions taken through use of the Services such as preferences.
- Information Submitted Via Services. You agree that Bugcrowd is free to use the content of any communications submitted by you via the Services, including any ideas, inventions, concepts, techniques, or know-how disclosed therein, for any purpose including developing, manufacturing, and/or marketing goods or Services. Bugcrowd will not release your name or otherwise publicize the fact that you submitted materials or other information to us unless: (a) you grant us permission to do so or it is otherwise necessary as part of the Services, such as to facilitate payment to you as a researcher; (b) we first send notice to you that the materials or other information you submit to a particular part of a Service will be published or otherwise used with your name on it; or (c) we are required to do so by law.
- Information from Other Sources. We may receive information about you from other sources, including through Third-Party services and organizations to supplement information provided by you. For example, if you access or use our Services through a Third-Party application, we may collect information about you from that Third-Party application that is public via your privacy settings or is otherwise available. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to Bugcrowd and to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business, products, and Services.
3.2 HOW BUGCROWD USES YOUR INFORMATION
We acquire, hold, use, and Process Personal Information about Individuals for a variety of business purposes, including:
- To Provide Products, Services, or Information Requested. Bugcrowd may use information about you to provide the Services and fulfill requests for products or information, including to:
- Generally manage Individual information and accounts;
- Respond to questions, comments, and other requests;
- To assess vulnerabilities and other bugs you discover in the course of your use of the Services;
- Provide access to certain areas, functionalities, and features of Bugcrowd’s Services;
- Contact you to answer requests for customer support or technical support;
- Allow you to register for events.
- Administrative Purposes. Bugcrowd may use Personal Information about you for its administrative purposes, including to:
- Measure interest in Bugcrowd’s Services;
- Develop new products and Services;
- Ensure internal quality control;
- Verify Individual identity;
- Communicate about Individual accounts and activities on Bugcrowd’s Services and systems, and, in Bugcrowd’s discretion, changes to any Bugcrowd policy;
- Send email to the email address you provide to us to verify your account and for informational and operational purposes, such as Account management, customer service, or system maintenance;
- Process payment for products or services purchased;
- Process applications and transactions;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- Enforce our Terms.
- Marketing Bugcrowd Products and Services. Bugcrowd may use Personal Information to provide you with materials about offers, products, and Services that may be of interest, including new content or Services. Bugcrowd may provide you with these materials by phone, postal mail, facsimile, or email, as permitted by applicable law. Such uses include:
- To tailor content, advertisements, and offers;
- To notify you about offers, products, and services that may be of interest to you;
- To provide Services to you and our sponsors;
- For other purposes disclosed at the time that Individuals provide Personal Information; or
- Otherwise with your consent.
You may contact us at any time to opt-out of the use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes, as further described in Section 5 below
- Research and Development. Bugcrowd may use Personal Information alone or in the aggregate with information obtained from other sources, in order to help us to optimally deliver our existing products and Services or develop new products and Services.
- Direct Mail, Email and Outbound Telemarketing. Individuals who provide us with Personal Information, or whose Personal Information we obtain from Third Parties, may receive periodic emails, newsletters, mailings, or phone calls from us with information on Bugcrowd’s or our business partners’ products and services or upcoming special offers/events we believe may be of interest. We offer the option to decline these communications at no cost to the Individual by following the instructions in Section 5 below.
- Anonymous and Aggregated Information Use. Bugcrowd may use Personal Information and other information about you to create anonymized and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access Bugcrowd’s Services, or other analyses we create. Anonymized and aggregated information is used for a variety of functions, including the measurement of visitors’ interest in and use of various portions or features of the Services. Anonymized or aggregated information is not Personal Information, and Bugcrowd may use such information in a number of ways, including research, internal analysis, analytics, and any other legally permissible purposes. We may share this information within Bugcrowd and with Third Parties for our or their purposes in an anonymized or aggregated form that is designed to prevent anyone from identifying you
- Sharing Content with Friends or Colleagues. Bugcrowd’s Services may offer various tools and functionalities to share content. Our referral services may allow you to forward or share certain content with a friend or colleague, such as an email inviting your friend to use our Services. Email addresses that you may provide for a friend or colleague will be used to send your friend or colleague the content or link you request, but will not be collected or otherwise used by Bugcrowd or any other Third Parties for any other purpose.
- Other Uses. Bugcrowd may use Personal Information for which we have a legitimate interest, such as network and information security, direct marketing, disclosure to affiliated organizations, research (including marketing research), fraud prevention, or any other purpose disclosed to you at the time you provide Personal Information or with your consent.
3.3 COOKIES, PIXEL TAGS/WEB BEACONS, ANALYTICS INFORMATION, AND INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors’ computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
- Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded on the Site that collects information about users’ engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.
- Embedded Scripts. We and our marketing partners, affiliates, analytics, and service providers may also employ software technology known as an embedded script. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Service, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your computer or other device and is deactivated or deleted when you disconnect from the Service.
- Analytics. We may also use Google Analytics and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on some of our Services, and to develop website content. This analytics data is not tied to any Personal Information. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and Processing of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Our uses of such Technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Advertising or Targeting Related. We may use first-party or third-party cookies and web beacons to deliver content, including ads relevant to your interests, on our sites or on third party sites. This includes using technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the advertisements and content that has been delivered to you, such as whether you have clicked on an advertisement.
If you would like to opt-out of the Technologies we employ on our Sites, Services, applications, or tools, you may do so by blocking, deleting, or disabling them as your browser or device permits.
3.4 THIRD-PARTY WEBSITES AND SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
The Services may contain links to other websites and other websites may reference or link to our Services. These other domains and websites are not controlled by us, and Bugcrowd does not endorse or make any representations about Third-Party websites or social media platforms. We encourage our users to read the privacy policies of each and every website and application with which they interact. We do not endorse, screen or approve, and are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites or applications. Visiting these other websites or applications is at your own risk.
Bugcrowd’s Services may include publicly accessible blogs, community forums, or private messaging features. The Services may also contain links and interactive features with various social media platforms (e.g., widgets). If you already use these platforms, their cookies may be set on your device when using our Site or other Services. You should be aware that Personal Information which you voluntarily include and transmit online in a publicly accessible blog, chat room, social media platform or otherwise online, or that you share in an open forum may be viewed and used by others without any restrictions. We are unable to control such uses of your information when interacting with a social media platform, and by using such services you assume the risk that the Personal Information provided by you may be viewed and used by third parties for any number of purposes.
3.5 THIRD-PARTY PAYMENT PROCESSING
If you use the Services to make, receive or facilitate payments, we and Third-Party applications may collect certain financial information from you to process transactions, including your name, email address, address, financial account information and other billing information.
4. ONWARD TRANSFER—BUGCROWD MAY DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION
4.1 INFORMATION WE SHARE
- We Use Vendors and Service Providers. We may share any information we receive with vendors and service providers. The types of service providers (processors) to whom we entrust Personal Information include service providers for: (i) provision of IT and related services; (ii) provision of information and services you have requested; (iii) payment processing; (iv) customer service activities; and (v) in connection with the provision of the Services. Bugcrowd has executed appropriate contracts with the service providers that prohibit them from using or sharing Personal Information except as necessary to perform the contracted services on our behalf or to comply with applicable legal requirements.
- Business Partners. Bugcrowd may share Personal Information with our business partners, and affiliates for our and our affiliates’ internal business purposes or to provide you with a product or service that you have requested. Bugcrowd may also provide Personal Information to business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services we believe may be of interest to you. In such cases, our business partner’s name will appear, along with Bugcrowd. Bugcrowd requires our affiliates and business partners to agree in writing to maintain the confidentiality and security of Personal Information they maintain on our behalf and not to use it for any purpose other than the purpose for which Bugcrowd provided them.
- Content Visible to Others. When you create a Profile or post content to the Services, this information may be displayed to others. We are not responsible for privacy practices of the other users who will view and use the posted information.
- Marketing – Interest-Based Advertising and Third Party Marketing. Through our Services, Bugcrowd may allow Third-Party advertising partners to set tracking tools (e.g., cookies) to collect information regarding your activities (e.g., your IP address, page(s) visited, time of day). We may also share such de-identified information as well as selected Personal Information (such as demographic information and past purchase history) we have collected with Third-Party advertising partners. These advertising partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other websites) for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements to you when you visit non-Bugcrowd related websites within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising” or “online behavioral advertising. We may allow access to other data collected by the Services to facilitate transmittal of information that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you. If you prefer that we do not share your Personal Information with Third-Party advertising partners, you may opt-out of such sharing at no cost by following the instructions in Section 5 below.
- Disclosures to Protect Us or Others (e.g., as Required by Law and Similar Disclosures). We may access, preserve, and disclose your Personal Information, other account information, and content if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to: (i) comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) respond to your requests; (iii) protect yours’, ours’ or others’ rights, property, or safety; (iv) to enforce Bugcrowd policies or contracts; (v) to collect amounts owed to Bugcrowd; (vi) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vii) if we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable.
In addition, from time to time, server logs may be reviewed for security purposes – e.g., to detect unauthorized activity on the Services. In such cases, server log data containing IP addresses may be shared with law enforcement bodies in order that they may identify users in connection with their investigation of the unauthorized activities.
4.2 INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
You agree that all Personal Information collected via or by Bugcrowd may be transferred, Processed, and stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, the United States, the European Union, in the cloud, on our servers, on the servers of our affiliates or the servers of our service providers in order to provide the Services. Your Personal Information may be accessible to law enforcement or other authorities pursuant to a lawful request. Where required by law, international transfers of Personal Information will be supported by an adequacy mechanism.
5. OPT-OUT (RIGHT TO OBJECT TO PROCESSING)
You have the right to object to and opt out of certain uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. Where you have consented to Bugcrowd’s Processing of your Personal Information or Sensitive Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and opt-out to further Processing by contacting email@example.com. Even if you opt-out, we may still collect and use non-Personal Information regarding your activities on our Sites and/or information from the advertisements on Third-Party websites for non-interest based advertising purposes, such as to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements.
5.2 EMAIL AND TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS
5.3 “DO NOT TRACK”
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. DNT is a way for users to inform websites and services that they do not want certain information about their webpage visits collected over time and across websites or online services. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
5.4 COOKIES AND INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING
As noted above, you may stop or restrict the placement of cookies on your computer or remove them from your browser by adjusting your web browser preferences. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, on many mobile devices, application users may opt out of certain mobile ads via their device settings.
The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt-out of receiving targeted ads from our data partners and our other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these, and also learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy, at www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, or http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/ and www.aboutads.info/choices/. You can also choose not to be included in Google Analytics here.
6. RIGHTS OF ACCESS, RECTIFICATION, ERASURE, AND RESTRICTION
Although Bugcrowd makes good faith efforts to provide Individuals with access to their Personal Information, there may be circumstances in which Bugcrowd is unable to provide access, including but not limited to: where the information contains legal privilege, would compromise others’ privacy or other legitimate rights, where the burden or expense of providing access would be disproportionate to the risks to the Individual’s privacy in the case in question, where the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, or where it is commercially proprietary. To protect your privacy, Bugcrowd will take commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to or making any changes to your Personal Information.
7. DATA RETENTION
8. SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
By using the Services or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Services or sending an e-mail to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing.
9. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
The Services are not directed to children under 13 (and in certain jurisdictions under the age of 16) years of age, and Bugcrowd does not knowingly collect Personally Identifiable Information from children under 13 (and in certain jurisdictions under the age of 16) years of age. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 13 (and in certain jurisdictions under the age of 16), we will promptly take steps to delete such information.
10. REDRESS/COMPLIANCE AND ACCOUNTABILITY
11. OTHER RIGHTS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- New Uses of Personal Information. Additionally, before we use Personal Information for any new purpose not originally authorized by you, we will endeavor to provide information regarding the new purpose and give you the opportunity to opt-out. Where consent of the Individual for the Processing of Personal Information is otherwise required by law or contract, Bugcrowd will endeavor to comply with the law or contract.
11.2 CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
The following capitalized terms shall have the meanings herein as set forth below.
- “Agent” means any Third Party that Processes Personal Information pursuant to the instructions of, and solely for, Bugcrowd or to which Bugcrowd discloses Personal Information for use on its behalf.
- “Personal Information” is any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (“Individual”).
- “Process” or “Processing” means any operation which is performed upon Personal Information, whether or not by automatic means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure, or destruction.
- “Sensitive Data” or “Sensitive Personal Information” is a subset of Personal Information which, due to its nature, has been classified by law or by policy as deserving additional privacy and security protections. Sensitive Personal Information includes Personal Information regarding EU residents that is classified as a “Special Category of Personal Data” under EU law, which consists of the following data elements: (1) race or ethnic origin; (2) political opinions; (3) religious or philosophical beliefs; (4) trade union membership; (5) genetic data; (6) biometric data where Processed to uniquely identify a person; (6) health information; (7) sexual orientation or information about the Individual’s sex life; or (8) information relating to the commission of a criminal offense.
- “Third Party” is any company, natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or body other than the Individual, Bugcrowd or Bugcrowd’s Agents.
13. Revision History: